twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Who's Vision Do I Have?




When you look at the vision that God gave you to reach boys and girls, you have to keep in mind... and in heart, that God didn't give you someone else's vision.

It sure is easy as a CM leader to look at Church A, B & C and desire what they have... or desire to do what they do - especially if that church is at the forefront of church ministry. I was recently at a friend's church for a CM leader's meeting and got a tour of the building. While touring this monster of a building, my friend showed me the CM resource room. I was envious... it was awesome! Huge; organized; with numerous matching shelves and cabinets; an insane amount of counter space for getting work done; every conceivable piece of office equipment - just of for the CM department... that CM leaders wish they had (color copier, giant laminator, large format printer, paper cutters and several work computers!) Get the idea here? Most public schools wouldn't be able to touch this!

I went home and told my wife about it - and the pursuit of a bigger and better resource room began to formulate in my mind. But, I had to realize that I was not called to pursue that vision, but vision that God has put in front of me for this church. Sure I can use the experience of seeing that big resource room to inspire me to pursue excellence in what we do in this church. But I was not called to fulfill that other church's vision.

Look at where you are now... what you have now... who you have now... and ask God where He wants you to go now... How He wants you to do what He's called you to do... and - When His time frame allows for you to do all He's asked you to do.

Besides, my friend said that I could use his resource room anytime! Hmm... what could I laminate?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Pastor Jamie! I needed to hear this. I've learned over the past 3 years at my church that each church and each children's ministry has their own distinct purpose and "culture" so to speak. But what I've learned from other churches (I also have a resource room story :-)), has inspired me to bloom where I am planted. Keep sharing, friend, and thank you! God bless!

your wife said...

Is that your eye???

Randy said...

I once heard that "the grass is always greener on the other side." ...but sometimes that's because they have more fertilizer, if you know what I mean!

Unknown said...

A resource room like that would definitly bring on the drool... but I know that every place of work or ministry has it's strengths and weeknesses. In my case, my resource room is better than some I've had in the past...but the real strength I see each day is in the people I work alongside of. They are my churches' shining star that would invoke envy in someone else. But all of that aside.... to me the most important thing to focus on is that God gives us exactly what we need at exactly the right time. When I remember that I tend to stay more focused in His purpose rather than my haves and have nots.

Jamie Doyle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie Doyle said...

Good stuff folks - thanks for the comments so far!

Jamie Doyle said...

No Jen, that's not my eye... thanks for asking!