twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Making Time For Response - Part 7

Three Things That Might Help


Use Music

It can be live - someone playing a guitar, piano/keyboard or a live band.

It can be recorded music - I use iTunes. So, I have an entire playlist of Altar/Prayer Time Music. I’m a huge fan of Brian Dollar’s High Voltage Kids Ministries Products - their entire CD “Quiet Times for Kids” is on that playlist, along with music from a Randy Christensen CD called “A Time To Reflect” ...and a few of my own compositions (with help from GarageBand)


Either way, music will help to create a mood. It helps to “cue” the children that it’s time for prayer or a response. It can make kids feel comfortable when they don’t want other’s to hear what they are saying to God.


Eliminate Distractions

If kids are uncomfortable, they are not attentive. Make sure the room is the right temp. Close doors and windows to eliminate outside noise. Fix, replace or throw-out broken chairs or furniture. Anything that is distracting has the potential to pull kids away from recieving


Don’t Do The Same Thing!

Use a variety of ways for kids to approach a time to respond. Never make it boring or predictable. Here are few ways I've had kids respond:

  • Call the kids forward and have them kneel
  • Call the kids forward and have them stand
  • Call the kids forward and have them group-up and pray for one another
  • Have them pray, standing at their chairs
  • Have them kneel at their chairs
  • Have them stand on their chairs
  • Have them gather in groups to pray for each other in their rows
  • Have them move to each corner of the room to pray for each other
  • Have them gather around and pray for the leaders
  • Get them out in the hallways or different part of the church building to pray
  • Have them respond by singing a song together
  • Have them write something down and leave it at the altar
  • Get them to March around the room Jericho-style and shout praises

I think you get the picture here.


3 comments:

Richard B said...

I've enjoyed reading your posts on making Time for Response and I agree with most of it. My heart just puts red flags in my way when I think about this stuff sometimes.

NOTE: This is in no way implying this has anything to do with you or your ministry just what I'm thinking about right now.

When I think about children's ministry, well really ministry in general. We as leaders are quite capable of playing an "audience" into whatever mood or response we desire. If I want the congregation to leave crying I can say, do, make them feel this and it is so. It can be the same as a well developed theatrical performance.

My word of caution for ministry leaders is to, yes, make time for response, but in no way try and generate that response, that's God's job.

For example,(a rough illustration) If I emotionally convince you to follow the Green Bay Packers one night while you at at my house and you are a Vikings fan, when you go home that night and wake up in the morning who are you likely to cheer for? I would say the Packers. Now if you come to the decision on your own (Yes if God guides you)that Green Bay is the team to cheer for you will most likely continue to cheer for Green Bay past your emotional encounter.

All this to say that remember that quality is far better than quantity.

Richard B said...

Okay Just realized I messed up my illustration. It should read...

For example,(a rough illustration) If I emotionally convince you to follow the Green Bay Packers one night while you at at my house and you are a Vikings fan, when you go home that night and wake up in the morning who are you likely to cheer for? I would say the Vikings. Now if you come to the decision on your own (Yes if God guides you)that the Vikings are the team to cheer for you will most likely continue to cheer for the Vikings past your emotional encounter.

All this to say that remember that quality is far better than quantity.

Jamie Doyle said...

Richard - thanks for your comments...

Please realize that I will always be a die-hard Vikes fan (there's no reason they should've lost to Chicago a few weeks back) Let's see what the playoffs bring!

Back to the subject at hand: I always want to follow the leading of God's Holy Spirit as should any minister. These suggestions are only listed as a means of removing distractions and allowing the Holy Spirit to move while engaging a child.

Blessings to you in this new year of ministry