twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Developing Your Skills

Many have asked what I study when it comes to developing my skills as a presenter. The answer is not as easy as going to the local Christian bookstore and picking up a book or actually going to the Children's Ministry Sites and ordering the next wave in curriculum, manual or DVD. I do something that those of you harsh, anti-secular children's pastors would never think of doing. I study and learn from those in the real world - who do what I do, which is present and perform - but, they do it for the masses of children in the secular, public world, as magicians, clowns, jugglers, storytellers and the sort.

I have recently revived my interest in a guy named, David Ginn. Do you know this guy, have you met him... heard of him? He is the godfather of the kidshow/elementary school assembly. Ask any children's magician who David Ginn is and the probability that they are performing a version of one of his routines or using lines that have been made famous from his books are greater then the people who actually know how David Blaine makes himself float.

I love to entertain kids and educate them at the same time. So my interest in David Ginn began back as a Jr. High school student. A children's pastor who I was helping (Jeff Post) allowed me to borrow a few of his books on children's magic. David Ginn's "Children Laugh Louder" was one of them. I also read his copy of the famous book "KidBiz" by the same author. It started me on my journey as a performer in my own home town. I also realized that it was helping me to develop my children's ministry lessons. I have continued to collect his books, videos, DVD's and props to this day - I have even gotten the chance to meet him and see him lecture - what a great guy!

If you're interested in taking an interesting journey into the world of the children's entertainer, then get some of David's books or DVD's "Professional Magic for Children" is a great place to start. "Children Laugh Louder" and the most famous "KidBiz" are the next two to get your hands on. Tell him Jamie Doyle sent you and he will say, "...Who?"

0 comments: